Twelve Halls Successfully Complete a Major Refurbishment Programme
10 July 2012
The past six weeks have proved to be a busy period for groups on the Maximising Community Space Crossing Borders with a number of events marking the completion of the refurbishment works to twelve of the halls. Halls located in Co Antrim, Armagh, Cavan, Donegal, Fermanagh, L’Derry, Monaghan and Tyrone celebrated their success by entertaining everyone with music, dancing, storytelling or a dedication service.
Events were hosted by Mowillian Hall Development Association, Ballinode Community Projects Ltd, St Johnston Masonic Hall, Doorin LOL 1148, Ballreagh Silver Band, Bloomhill Rural Development Association, Eden Accordian Band & Concert Music Society, Inter Estate Partnership and Cranfield Cultural Society, Fairhill Hall Development Association, Ballynenagh Cultural Development Association and Tedd Cross and District Community Association.
At the events Olga Gallagher, Director of Programmes was greeted by a large number of people who showed their support for the newly refurbished hall in their area. The management committees were congratulated for their efforts and commitments during the two phases of the Maximising Community Space and Crossing Borders and members were presented with certificates gained through the Open College Network accredited course completed through the programme.
As well as congratulating the group members on their achievements through the training Olga also paid tribute to those members who managed the capital works carried out to the halls which varied from small extensions to accommodate newly fitted kitchens, disabled toilets, disabled access, meeting rooms, upgrading of electricity and electric heating, running water, new roofs, damp proofing etc.
The capital works were funded by the International Fund for Ireland through the Maximising Community Space Crossing Borders Programme, which is managed by the Northern Ireland Rural Development Council (RDC). The programme is designed to increase the capacity of groups managing community halls, encourage wider usage of existing facilities and foster good relations.